Learn about VPUE Teaching Grants

What are the distinctions among a Hoagland Award, Faculty College, and Curriculum Development Grants?

The Hoagland Award specifically targets innovation in teaching and projects that are likely to have great impact either because of the number of faculty/departments/programs involved, or the likelihood that the project will be a model for other Stanford courses.  Individual faculty or teams may apply.  Unlike other grants, the Hoagland may provide support for up to 1/9th salary.  Large projects in the range of $20,000 - $30,000, or even $50,000 for particularly ambitious and promising projects, may be funded.  Grants may be awarded for up to three years.

Teams of two to five faculty may propose projects for Faculty College, which emphasizes the cohort community by bringing multiple teams together four times to share experiences, learn about teaching resources and methods, and work on their projects.  Over the course of a year, each team member is expected to participate actively in the four plenary sessions, as well as two to three individual team meetings per quarter. The RFP for Faculty College in a given year may focus on specific VPUE priorities in course or curricular development.  Faculty College pays each team member an honorarium of $8,500 and also supports student research assistance.  Project support is available for up to $6,000 for books and materials; workshops, retreats, or guest speakers; conferences and site visits; or student activities.  

Curriculum Development Grants (CDGs) are for projects that are smaller in scope and/or cost (up to $10,000) than the Hoagland Award and may be proposed by individual faculty members or teams in any discipline.  CDGs do not prioritize specific curricular areas or types of teaching, and do not entail a cohort structure as Faculty College does; this is the most flexible grant category.  Grants are for one year only. 

If I receive a Hoagland Award, can I also participate in Faculty College? 

The same team may not be supported by both a Hoagland Award and Faculty College in the same year.  A Faculty College project may, however, lead to a subsequent Hoagland proposal, or vice versa.

In general, can projects be funded by multiple grants?

VPUE will share information internally among grant programs so that deserving proposals are directed to the appropriate fund.  Generally, the same focused project may not be supported by more than one grant, although different aspects of a larger endeavor may (e.g. support for a significant revision to a major curriculum applied for through a Hoagland grant, might be complemented by an Engaging the Arts grant to incorporate campus arts resources into the first course of a sequence).  

When should I apply for a Pre-Field, Engaging the Arts, or Revs Grant versus a general Curriculum Development Grant?

If your proposal falls within the guidelines of the Pre-Field, Curricular Innovation Engaging the Arts, or Revs at Stanford grants, you should submit your proposal to one of these programs.  Proposals submitted to the general CDG grant pool may be referred to these grant funds instead, in consultation with those overseeing specific programs.

What other VPUE course development support exists for specific programs?

Certain specific categories of courses qualify for specific curriculum development support. These include:

What are some other sources of funding outside of VPUE for curriculum development, program support, or undergraduate research?

Additional sources of funding for arts engagements may be available through SiCA, the Stanford Institute for Creativity and the Arts. 

For information about grants to incorporate service learning into your course, see Service Learning Course Development Grants

Schools, departments or programs, institutes, and centers may have additional resources specific to their subject fields or area of inquiry. 

What if I have an idea, but the deadline for applications for a particular grant has passed?

Inquire with the contact person listed on the Grants Overview page.  In some cases, funds may not have been fully expended or additional funds may be found for a compelling proposal.  

What kind of departmental or school support is required for me to make a proposal?

Your department chair or program director must support proposals made to any of the curriculum and course development grant programs; a Hoagland proposal’s budget must also be reviewed by the department’s finance administrator.  Proposals for UPEGs, TA Training, departmental undergraduate research grants, and Bing Honors College reflect department or program efforts and require endorsement or submission by appropriate representative(s). You may apply for teaching conference grants and faculty grants for undergraduate research without requesting an endorsement from by the chair or director.

Where supplemental faculty salary is part of the proposed project budget, the school dean will have to approve payment, and the department is responsible for submitting these requests. This may happen after a proposal is submitted and awarded.

While endorsement from school deans is not part of the proposal for any of these grants, VPUE does consult with deans regarding school priorities and potential partnerships.

Learn more

Learn more about specific grants by visiting the Grants Overview page.