About Setting Expectations
What impact do you hope to have as a mentor? What does your mentee hope for?
5 Steps to Establishing Mentor/Mentee Expectations
- Take a moment to consider what expectations you might have for your mentoring role.
- Meet with your mentee and get a feel for their expectations of this relationship.
- Find out more about their teaching experience and set appropriate goals for the quarter.
- Design acommunication plan: How will you set meeting times? How will you provide feedback and how often? Set boundaries as appropriate.
- Periodically check in with your mentee to make sure this plan is working. Modify it as needed.