Feedback and Assessment
How do we best provide feedback and assess learning online?
An important part of the learning process is understanding and evaluating what we've learned. In this section, we'll describe some approaches you might take to assessing student work in an online environment.
- Formative Assessments and Feedback: In an online learning environment, it is critical to offer students feedback on how they're progressing through their courses. This page describes ways that you can offer students opportunities to understand their progress in a course and learn in a spirit of growth and improvement.
- Summative Assessments and Feedback: Final assessments, where students show evidence of their learning, are critical parts of students' understanding of their knowledge in a course. On this page, learn different ways you might assess learning and provide valuable holistic feedback.
- Administering Remote Exams: Administering exams remotely online presents unique challenges compared to face-to-face exams. These suggestions will help you successfully conduct an exam online.
- Academic Honesty in Online Courses: How do we help students approach their online learning with academic integrity? Consider these suggestions for interpreting Stanford's Honor Code and encouraging student honesty.
- Virtual Office Hours: Conducting office hours online can actually offer more affordances than face-to-face office hours alone. Learn more on this page how you can make the most of virtual office hours.